Monday, March 16, 2009

WBC part something

As I watch the end of the (play-in?) game between Ven and PR, I find myself actually enjoying the game. It's at 2-0, which means they may actually play all 9 innings (Bottom 8th, 2 outs runners on 1 &2). I have committed myself to watching the end of this game, even though as I write they taking out the Venezuelan pitcher in favor of K-Rod, despite the fact that there is a 2-1 count on the current batter (Felipe Lopez).

This is good baseball, or at least better than the revolving door of minor leaguers in spring games. I like it so much, I wouldn't mind watching another game, or at least part of it, but wait... I can't watch the elimination game between Cuba and Mexico. I can't because it won't be on my tv and I won't be paying money to stream it online. Even if I wanted to pay the money to watch it live, the game doesn't start until 11:00pm eastern. I know that's still early in San Diego where the game is being played, but that's not where I live. It's also not where a lot of people who might watch the game and/or make the game profitable to air live. When I happen to catch a few innings, I generally like what I see, but when I go further, I am just too frustrated with how poorly this is planned and marketed to seek out these games. Anyone else feeling the pain? Maybe I'm wrong and this is awesome and I'm just missing it. Holler at your boy.

UPDATE: Looks like the right move my Ven, as K-Rod struck out Lopez, even though he only threw 2 strike (3 total pitches in the 8th, and is now poised to close out the 9th).

UPDATE IN CAPS BUT LONGER: Good ending to the game. I think my favorite part was a situation where K-Rod struck out utility man and my former new best friend Alex Cora looking. Steve Phillips (I think it was SP, as it was stupid and someone said it, so I think I'm safe to assume it was SP) said something to the effect of "K-Zone says it all, perfectly painted on the outside corner, perfectly called by the umpire" but then they actually showed the K-Zone and the pitch was no less than 4-6 inches outside. Not touching a line, not actually all that close on the slow mo replay (though it did look like a strike in real time). Somehow Phillips decided to say the only things that didn't make sense based on the actual replay. I'm adding "employing Steve Phillips, or someone who sounds like him and also makes dumb comments" to things that bad about this year's WBC. Anyway, good ending to the game and now the US gets a second shot at PR.

No comments: